Travel Diary: Wilson's Prom, Australia (2013)

Recently I went to Wilson's Prom with a few of my friends :)
We stayed there for 2.5 days and did some pretty intensive bush walking.
And I must say the scenery there was beyond exhilarating. You can see it for yourself in the pictures below ^^

There's also an excerpt of my diary entry (that I wrote for uni) if you can actually be bothered reading it! 
SCROLL DOWN BELOW THE PICTURES FOR IT! 
It's pretty long, so I doubt you would want to read it xD

So here are the breathtaking shots that were either taken by me, Sam or Daniel.

All the pictures are taken at Waterloo Bay, except this one. (It was taken on the way to the bay)
Loner me watching the waves, while the guys climbed to the higher rocks.
The guys climbed even higher than me to take this beautiful shot, you can see me in the picture! 
 We roamed the beach, and yes, all of those were our footprints :)

 It's tough climbing rocks :/

 Those rocks were pretty damn sharp, climbing barefoot. I had a few scratches and cuts on my feet, but it was heaps fun :p 

The excerpt:
The day before the bushwalk, I met up with my tent and cooking group . We headed to Woolworths and did our grocery shopping for the bushwalk. I woke up extremely early on Saturday morning; it had been years since I was up this early, 5am. I took a quick morning shower before heading to the Prince Alfred Hotel where we would all meet up with everyone else before heading to Wilson’s Prom. It was a long 3 hour bus ride there, I was glad I decided to take my iPod along so I was pretty much occupied for the trip. We arrived at Tidal River just slightly after midday, where we did our final packing. The four of us struggled to fit the tents and trangia stoves into our backpack because of all the excessive food we decided to take along. My backpack was quite heavy weighing between 15-20kgs. Once all the preparations were done, we set off on our bushwalking adventure to Sealer’s Cove. Everyone was bursting full of energy and seemed extremely pumped for what was awaiting us. For the first 30 minutes of the walk, my shoulders were aching miserably from the weight of the backpack however we had several resting stops along the journey to allow for the recovery of our shoulders. Along the way, one of the guys from my group rolled his ankle but he did excellent job and carried on walking without any complaints. We arrived Sealer’s Cove at high tide, which wasn’t very ideal. We had to cross that river in order to reach our campsite. None of us signed up for this, getting drenched whilst crossing a river. As I entered the river I realised how deep this thing was, the water was up to my neck. I wasn’t a swimmer and started panicking but managed to make my way across without drowning We learnt to pitch our tents in soaking wet clothes which weren’t exactly pleasing but it had to be done before sunset.
We all woke up early the next morning, had breakfast before packing up and headed off to Waterloo Bay. The entire journey was horrendous; the tracks were full of steep inclines and massive rocks that we had to climb over. We were about halfway to Waterloo Bay when my knee starting aching. The weight from my backpack was only adding to the pain in my knee. Strapping tape didn’t seem to help my knee at all. The pain was unbearable but there was no way I could stop, I just had to keep on going despite all the pain I was in. My bushwalking group was extremely fast; I struggled to catch up with them for the final 2kms of the walk but managed to arrive at the campsite just before 2pm, in time for lunch. Once the backpack was removed from me, the pain in my knee gradually disappeared. We had approximately 4.5 hours of daylight before sunset, so Daniel, Alex, Sam and I decided that we would go to the beach to play. The afternoon was well spent, playing in the waves and sunbaking. We ventured out and climbed the rocks nearby: the view on top of the rocks was absolutely spectacular. For the first time during this trip, I was able to enjoy the spectacular beach scenery. We stayed on the beach playing till the tide came in and headed back to our campsite for dinner. Dinner on the final day wasn’t so great; the four of us decided that we would eat as much as we could of the food we had left to reduce the load in our backpacks. It resulted in us all eating a can of spam each for dinner, we were proud of our efforts in devouring a slab of salty meat each. We had our usual hot chocolates with marshmallows, which merely compensated for the horrible dinner.
Later that night, our bushwalking instructor gathered everyone around the map to plan our trip for tomorrow. It was going to be an intensive last day, we were going to have to cover 17km and arrive at Tidal River before 2pm to be back at the university in time. My group members reassured me that most of the walk tomorrow was on flat land and that the incline would be nowhere as steep as it would be today.
On the final day we woke an hour earlier than yesterday, everyone was excited to be going home at last after an intensive bushwalking camp. I was still pretty sleepy, barely getting any sleep the previous night: the wind was howling and the sound of the waves crashing into the rocks kept me up for most of the night. To add to that, my stupid tent buddy decided to pitch our tent on a slight incline so for the most of the night I kept rolling down to the entrance of the tent and nearly pushing him out the tent. Nevertheless, I enthusiastically had my breakfast and quickly packed my backpack and it wasn’t long before we were on our way to Tidal River, our final destination. A fair bit of our walking distance was done along the beaches, which meant I had some time to enjoy the pristine scenery, especially the crystal clear blue waters and white sand. The rest of the walk was along boring walking tracks, with just trees on both sides. A smile of satisfaction spread across my tired face as I saw the sign which had ‘Tidal River’ printed on it. We were finally at our destination after 2.5 days of a challenging bushwalk.

Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment